The last few weeks we have had too many days where we’ve been snowed in, iced in, and been stuck in the house because of sickness. So I took this opportunity to do something creative while cleaning out the old crayon drawer. We made our own crayons!
We didn’t pass up the opportunity to learn some new science concepts either. We talked about heat, melting, and colors- all while doing this fun activity.
- Take the paper off of the crayons.
- Heat oven to about 200 degrees.
- Spray non-stick spray on cupcake pan.
- Add crayons. Use all of the same color or group several colors to have a multi-colored crayon.
- Heat for about 10 minutes until crayons are melted.
- Place pan in fridge. Or outside if it’s cold!
Now you have new fun crayons.
If you do not stir and you have slightly different greens, then you will get a dual color effect as with the green and blue below. Stir if you want to have one block of solid color. Or if you want two colored crayons, just use two colors like the pink/purple and black/white below. If you have cupcake pans in shapes, this would be fun also.