After my daughter was born I was so grateful to BABS that I wanted to know how I could help out. BABS was an organization that made a difference in my life and I wanted some way to say thank you.
I first started volunteering my time in the office. I folded newsletters, stamped envelopes, and in the process managed to learn an awful lot about BABS. For example, I had no idea that BABS was a non-profit organization. I learned that Georg’ann, the full-time executive director, is a volunteer (yep, I still can’t believe that one). I also found out that anytime BABS makes a profit they turn around and put those dollars right back in to the community – expanding services, space, and support for new families however they can.
Since my early volunteer days BABS has added new mom support groups, a toddler play group, story time, working mom support groups, a volunteer doula program, parenting classes, dancing for birth, and tons of breastfeeding classes and services through the lactation center. With the use of an income based sliding scale BABS has made sure that their services are accessible to everyone. Even breastpump rentals are on a sliding scale. Seriously, no one is ever turned away from BABS and so many of their services are totally free…intended to build community and support families. Truly, the individuals who make up this organization will move mountains to get families the support they need.
My role at BABS has changed over the years (seven years!). I went from volunteering to working a paid position a few hours a week to spending every spare minute I have here. BABS is a great organization and the lives of new families in Bloomington are continually improved by the efforts of my amazing colleagues. From childbirth education to playtime to evidence based lactation support…BABS is an asset in our community.
So, how can the average person help BABS continue to provide these great services? Does BABS even need help?
BABS is a community-based organization and they do need your help. About 60% of the cost to keep the doors open and the lights on at BABS comes through fees for classes and sales in the BABS Boutique. The rest of the 40% is made up through fundraising events and donations from regular folks.
You can support BABS in so many ways…
*take classes at BABS
*tell your friends about BABS
*donate your gently-used maternity clothes
*shop in the BABS boutique
*make a monetary donation (you can even donate online by using the “donate” button in the upper right-hand corner of this screen)
*volunteer your time in the office
*help out with the BABS Gala
*volunteer at the Baby Fair
*join the BABS board of directors
*host a fundraising event
*”like” us on Facebook
*write a post for the BABS Blog
*pick up supplies when you shop (BABS can always use toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning wipes, baby wipes, disposable breast pads, coffee, tea, sugar, honey, office paper, stamps, and gift cards for grocery stores).
Remember that every donation you make to BABS is tax deductible and goes directly to support this amazing community organization.