Doulas have been shown to shorten the length of labor, reduce the need for unwanted interventions and pain medication, and increase mothers’ satisfaction with their birth experiences.
The BABS Volunteer Doula Program is a group of doulas who provide labor support free of charge to women who may be experiencing financial, language, cultural, or other barriers to hiring a doula on their own. Because research shows that having a doula provides invaluable health benefits during labor, BABS believes all women should be able to have a doula.
How the Volunteer Doula Program works:
- If you are interested in having a volunteer doula, please contact the Doula Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 812-337-8121.
- The Doula Supervisor will meet with you to do a program intake, during which she will get information about you, your birth plans, and any specific wishes you have for your doula.
- If eligible (requirements are listed below), the Doula Supervisor will match you with a volunteer doula.
- You agree to communicate with your doula as outlined in the doula-client contract, and to fill out a birth information questionnaire for BABS’s statistical purposes after your birth.
- Your doula will meet with you at least twice prenatally, and will be on-call for you 24 hours a day beginning two weeks prior to your estimated due date (sooner if there is any sign of pre-term labor.)
- Your doula will join you in labor as soon as you feel the need for additional support, and she will stay with you until after your baby is born.
- Your doula will do one postpartum visit within two weeks after your baby’s birth.
Who is Eligible for a Volunteer Doula?
- Teen moms
- Non-native English speaking moms
- Single moms
- Homeless moms
- Moms who may be experiencing domestic violence
- Moms who may be experiencing addiction or substance abuse
- Moms with low income (contact BABS for details)
To see the differences in the types of doulas – private practice doula, BABS Volunteer Doula, or BABS Student Birth Doula – click here.
If you are currently a doula and are interested in being a Volunteer Doula with BABS, please contact the Doula Supervisor at email@example.com or at 812-337-8121.